Skip To Main Content

Our Schools



History Overview

J. L. Francis Elementary School is named after Joseph Langhorne Francis.
Mr. Francis was born in Southampton County on July 28, 1906. He was married and had one son. He attended William and Mary College and Duke University.

Some of his educational achievements were:

  • Teacher of math and science, ten years

  • Principal of Wakefield High School, ten years

  • Principal of Caroline High School, eleven years

  • Principal of Midlothian High School, one year

  • Principal of Reid Elementary School, six years.

Mr. Francis contributed to the Chesterfield County School System specifications committee and influenced the design and building of both Reams Road Elementary and Snead Road Elementary. Snead Road Elementary was annexed to the City of Richmond in 1970 from Chesterfield, Virginia. Snead Road Elementary was later named J. L. Francis Elementary in his honor.

He died in 1968. Mr. Francis is remembered as a classic “southern gentleman” who was dedicated to his profession.